MSA's Latchways WinGrip Aircraft Fall Protection
MSA's Latchways WinGrip is a vacuum anchor fall protection system for use in aviation maintenance and manufacturing of aircraft. WinGrip is safe and flexible, it can be used on the fuselage, stabilisers and wings; the system is quick to install, simple to use and is suitable for work inside the hangar and outside on the apron.
Falls from height are the single biggest cause of death and one of the biggest causes of serious injury in the workplace today. Anyone allowing operatives to work at height has a responsibility for their safety, and the WinGrip system offers an effective solution for fall protection during aircraft manufacture, maintenance and inspection.
WinGrip features and benefits
- Lightweight and portable anchors which weigh less than 6 kg
- Suitable for wet or dry surfaces, inside hangars or on the apron
- Easy to install for aircraft wing and fuselage maintenance
- Simple hands-free operation
- Intrinsically safe, and safe to use with fuel tanks open
- Run on compressed air or nitrogen, no electrical requirement
- No metal on metal contact
- 20 minutes of safety should an issue occur
- Multiple-user cable based system, single-user anchor, and collective barrier protection options
- Modular system which can be tailored to customer needs and requirements
- Approved and used by all major aircraft manufacturers including Boeing and Airbus
- Suitable for heavy maintenance and light maintenance
- Suitable for use with the Latchways Personal Rescue Device (PRD) to facilitate rescue
- Independently tested to meet all relevant and required international standards
The WinGrip range of aircraft fall protection systems
As fall protection becomes more of a major issue and legal measures are increasingly introduced across the world, WinGrip has become more widely used across many differing environments. MSA, as a global leader with Latchways engineered fall protection systems, have developed WinGrip with its vacuum anchor system to provide the best solutions for our clients.
The WinGrip range now consists of four systems and has been designed in a modular way, incorporating interchangeable components, giving the end user more choice and flexibility when resolving worker fall protection issues.
- WinGrip Single User System
- WinGrip Multi-user Lifeline System
- WinGrip Barrier System
- WinGrip All-in-one (AIO)
History of the WinGrip vacuum anchor aircraft fall protection system
The WinGrip vacuum anchor system was originally developed in conjunction with aircraft engineers as a method of fall protection whilst working at height on aircraft. The first systems, which are still being used today, were delivered to British Airways in 1999. Initially the system was a single anchor point, which could attach to wings, fuselages and stabilisers. This anchor allowed maintenance engineers to be protected from a fall in a radius around the pad, in any location on the aircraft.
Since then MSA has further developed the WinGrip system, to include:
WinGrip Lifeline System where up to four workers can have hands-free, safe access along a wing or fuselage
WinGrip Barrier System, which provides collective protection for multiple workers.
WinGrip All-in-One (AIO) a stand-alone individual unit suited to shorter line maintenance tasks providing instant, flexible fall protection.
WinGrip technology for safe repair, maintenance and overhaul
- A vacuum anchor system
- Powered pneumatically, without electricity or batteries
- Twenty minutes of safety in event of air failure
- No metal on metal contact
- Suitable for use in the hangar or out on the apron
- Fall arrest and fall restraint rated
- Each vacuum anchor machined from single billet of aluminium
- No welded joints to ensure total structural integrity
WinGrip aircraft fall protection system usage
WingGrip is now the industry standard for fall protection systems when maintaining fixed-wing commercial aircraft—adopted by airlines, major manufacturers and MROs around the world.
WinGrip benefits for operators:
- Flexibility to suit their specific needs
- Reliability, which minimises downtime
- Designed for all aircraft repair, maintenance and overhaul work
- Suitable for all levels of inspection: A check, B check, C check, D check and line maintenance.
- MSA's commitment to long-term support and after sales service
WinGrip is already widely used by various military organisations globally including those in USA, Australia, UK and other European countries. Holding amongst others; US national stock codes, NATO stock numbers.
WinGrip benefits for military organisations:
- Speed of installation
- Safe access for work on aircraft wing and fuselage
- Can be used inside or outside
- Suitable for all repair, maintenance and overhaul work
- MSA's resources, expertise and management
- MSA's understanding of procurement procedures
- MSA's long-term service commitment
WinGrip working with aviation partners
WinGrip is being used on a number of different Boeing aircraft. The WinGrip system is used in the production of the innovative Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and has been specified for the lifetime maintenance of the aircraft. WinGrip is also recommended for its AOG repair teams on all Boeing wing maintenance and wing repairs. WinGrip is approved for use on the entire Boeing fleet of aircraft.
WinGrip is now used extensively in the manufacture of Airbus aircraft. MSA has worked closely with Airbus; developing the WinGrip multiple-user cable based system in response to their particular needs for Airbus wing repairs. WinGrip is listed in the Airbus AMM (Aircraft Maintenance Manual) for all aircraft types as the only system to use for fall protection on their aircraft.
MSA continues to work with manufacturers to create tailored solutions. For more information, or to request a call back, contact the Latchways WinGrip Team.
Aircraft and WinGrip
The WinGrip system is suitable for use on any aircraft including Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, ATR and Embraer.
MSA works closely with aviation designers and manufacturers to develop systems that specifically fit different types of aircraft. Listed below are examples of aircraft where WinGrip systems are approved and specified.To request the design for your specific aircraft contact the Latchways WinGrip team today.
Airbus A320 Family that includes: Airbus A318, Airbus A319, Airbus A320, Airbus A321
Airbus A330 Family that includes: Airbus A330-200, Airbus A330-300
Airbus A340 Family that includes: Airbus A340-300, Airbus A340-500, Airbus A340-600
Airbus A350 XWB family that includes: Airbus A350-800, Airbus A350-900, Airbus A350-1000, Airbus A380
Airbus ACJ318, Airbus ACJ319, Airbus ACJ320, Airbus ACJ321, Airbus ACJ330, Airbus ACJ340,
Airbus ACJ350, Airbus ACJ380
Airbus C212, Airbus CN235, Airbus C295, Airbus A330 MRTT, Airbus A400M
Boeing C-17, Boeing Globemaster III, Boeing KC-767
Airbus A330-200F, Airbus A330P2F, Airbus A380F, Airbus Beluga